Wednesday, August 3, 2011

MTA: Manners To Be Announced

When I finished my undergraduate career my parents gifted me with one of the most solid pieces of machinery I've ever come in contact with -- a BMW 3-series, fully loaded, black exterior with a beige, leather interior. Unfortunately this beauty isn't gracing the city roads with her four tires, instead, she's sitting outside my parents' home, sheltered by a car cover. I decided that I wasn't about to risk my love's safety on the streets of New York, or deal with the outageous parking costs of the city. Instead, I was going to make a true effort to become a city girl and take the NYC subway, or MTA.

Now, I must say that the stereotype that New Yorkers are rude and mean is by far one of the most unfair and inaccurate perceptions I have encountered thus far. Quite frankly most everyone I have come in contact with is friendly, social and polite...except on the subway. When it comes to chivalry and simple acts of kindness, well, the MTA is not the place to find that.

On my way to work this morning I heard for the first time an automated campaign encouraging riders to give up their seat if another is not available to persons who are elderly, suffer from disabilities or women who are pregnant -- an obvious sign that the issue is an apparent problem. The best part of this campaign is not the message itself, but the fact that it ends with a statement claiming that "being courteous is contagious."

Earlier this week I waited 15 minutes for the train to scoop me up from 86th Street. A train derailed causing delays on all trains. It was an especially hot day and the trains were crowded. If you've ever been on the MTA on one of these days you know what a stressful situation this can be. Lucky for me I am at the top of the route, and usually get a seat before the train is too crowded.

But on this particular morning, as I'm riding, content with my iPod drowning out the screeching train, I look up to see a girl around my age glaring at me. As soon as I make eye contact I watch her eyes go back and forth from me to the 3.5 inches of space next to me. Without a word she turns around and slowly begins to lower her big rear-end into this space which is wide enough for an 8-month-old. No exaggeration, it is a 15-second lowering process...how nice, she's kindly given me time to move over into the man to my left's space. When she realizes she doesn't fit she proceeds to wiggle back and forth, likely similar to how she attempted to fit into her skin-tight jeans earlier that morning. I sit there, squished between her and the man, looking like sardines and sweating like a criminal in church.

Needless to say, I found myself getting up and standing directly in front of the girl who essentially pushed me out of my seat. Never once was I given a thank you for letting her weasle her way into a space clearly unfit for her size or an apology for bullying me to give up my seat to appease her laziness. I'm certain she would never give up her seat for those more needing of it.

My only hope is that this campaign becomes somewhat of a success and the next time someone sees an inch they don't try to fill it with a body that doesn't deserve to be there. Unless you have a cane or look like you are about to drop a baby, don't mess with me or my space. Please and thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment